Mount Diablo State Park
Bike and Vehicle Count
60% of All Vehicles traveling Up and Down South Gate Road are Bicycles!
Purpose: To count ALL Cyclists, Vehicles and Pedestrians traveling in and out of the Easement, up and down Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. to and from South Gate Road, Mount Diablo State Park (MDSP).
A video camera was setup to record continuously on September 7th, 14th, 21st (Saturdays) and September 17th and 24th (Tuesdays) for five hours each day from 8am to 1pm.
Findings: A total of 1,961 Vehicles, 217 Pedestrians, 55 Dogs, 41 Deer, 6 Turkeys, 8 Golf Carts and one Squirrel were counted.
60% of the Vehicles were Cyclists entering and exiting MDSP via South Gate Road
- 1,167 Cyclists rode up and down Mt. Diablo Scenic to South Gate Road (MDSP)
- 573 (49%) of the Cyclists rode in and out of the Easement from the Diablo Community Service District (DCSD)
- 596 (51%) of the Cyclists rode only on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. and not on the Easement
- 586 (98%) of the Cyclists DID NOT CROSS THE VIRTUAL CENTERLINE (in front of the Easement) as they rode from The Athenian School direction
40% of the Vehicles were cars, SUV’s, trucks and motorcycles entering and exiting MDSP via South Gate Road
- 794 Vehicles (cars, SUVs, trucks and motorcycles) entered and exited MDSP via South Gate Road
- 768 (97%) Vehicles CROSSED THE VIRTUAL CENTERLINE (in front of the Easement) as they drove from the MDSP direction
Easement: Pedestrians, Dogs, Deer, Turkeys, Golf Carts and a Squirrel
- 93 Pedestrians, Dog walkers and Joggers went up and down the Easement
- 55 Dogs
- 41 Deer
- 6 Turkeys
- 8 Golf Carts
- 1 Squirrel
Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. : 124 Pedestrians walked or jogged up and down toward South Gate Road
As of September 25, 2019