Fatality, Serious Injuries and Near-Miss Collisions
on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd
We would like to thank everyone for showing up on July 11, 2019 to honor the memory of Maayan Jones. He was hit by vehicle (map below) on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd on June 26, 2019. Maayan loved to ride a bike and especially enjoyed riding up Mount Diablo. Please take a moment to remember Maayan the next time you ride up the mountain.
- According to the Bay Area News Group (8/30/19) "He might still be alive today if the California Department of Parks and Recreation hadn't igored a 1992 court order to maintain the road where Jones collided 27 years later with a the front of a 2007 Chevolet Avalanche" (photo below).
- Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. is a private road which connects to South Gate Road, the entrance to Mount Diablo State Park from Diablo Rd in Danville. In 1931, the State was granted a “perpetual right of way” on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd for the benefit of the public to access the State Park.
- Most of the traffic using this one mile road is for access to and from Mount Diablo State Park by the public and not the residents along the road. Buses, fire engines, construction trucks, cars, SUVs, RVs, and all sorts of vehicles entering and exiting the Park cause most of the damage to the roadway.
- According to the CA State Parks records for FY 17/18: 32,642 vehicles drove up South Gate Rd via Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd to Mount Diablo State Park! In addition, tens of thousands more vehicles came down the mountain traveling on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. Approximately 65,000 to 75,000 cyclists rode up South Gate Rd in FY 17/18 and tens of thousands of cyclists rode down the mountain.
- As the owner of the right of way, the State has the legal obligation to maintain the roadway for the safety of the public entering and exiting the State Park. That includes the safety of thousands of cyclists who ride up and down Mount Diablo each year!
- The State Park has the legal and moral obligation to maintain the safety of this road. That includes conducting a Caltrans Road Traffic Safety Survey, filling pot holes and immediately implementing safety improvements; such as installing a Solid Double Yellow Line from the Park Entrance ¼ mile at South Gate Road along Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd (price estimate below). This would include analyzing five very dangerous blind curves where Near-Miss and actual collisons have occurred resulting in serious injuries and a fatality. (Video Below: State Parks Surveying Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd)
- On July 6, 2019 a male cyclist was seriously injuried near a pothole on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd
- On July 7, 2019 a female cyclist was seriously injuried (photo below) when she hit the pothole (24"x24") (photo below) on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd (map below, pothole painted the next day by cyclist)
- On 7/12/19 State Parks filed 7 Potholes on Mount Diablo Scenic Blvd
Near-Miss Bike vs Vehicle Collision: Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd
5 Dangerous Blind Curves on Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd