July 3, 2021: Bike vs Vehicle Collision on Mount Diablo State Park, South Gate Road. The Collision occurred at a Blind Curve. This location is where a Bike Turnout has been recommended, according to the Mount Diablo State Park, Bike Turnout Project#2019-05. This Project was approved & signed by State Parks on March 18, 2019.
Special Thanks to Dianne and Ron Canada (cyclists/witnesses). Dianne, a nurse immediately applied First Aid to the seriously injuried cyclist. While Ron, called 911, directed traffic, took photos and took charge of the accident site until San Ramon Valley Fire Department arrived. They should be commended for their caring professionalism! The CHP is conducting the investigation (Photo below: Dianne at the Blind Curve where the Bike vs Vehicle Collision occurred)
To: firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com>. Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 06:01:10 AM PDT Subject: REF: BIKE VS VEHICLE COLLISION ON MOUNT DIABLO!! (MAY 30, 2021) Tara, Please share this email with Armando Quinetero, Director California State Parks. Please confirm, thanks!
Armando, I’m really sorry to have to share this story. A cyclist was seriouly injuried on Saturday.
- A Bike vs Vehicle Collision, resulting is serious injuries to the cyclist occurred on Sunday morning (May 30, 2021, approximately 0925hrs), South Gate Road, Mount Diablo State Park (MDSP).
- According to muliple witnesses, “a Honda Van (Lic#7NTX394) passed several cycists who were riding up hill on a Blind Curve and crossed the solid double yellow line.”
- The cyclist was descending around a Blind Curve near the 1,000ft Elevation sign.
- The Bike vs Vehicle Collision occurred near a Blind Curve, a location where a “Bike Turnout” had been approved in March 2019, but NOT installed per the CA State Parks, MDSP Project#2019-05.
- The cyclist sustained serious injuries and spent the Memorial Day Weekend in the Emergency Room at John Muir Hospital, Walnut Creek California.
- California Highway Patrol (CHP) is conducting the investigation and will complete the Traffic Collision Report (TCR)
While we wait for the CHP to complete the Traffic Collision Report (TCR). It’s clear to us after spenting three days following and analyzing the facts; speaking to multiple witnesses, reading their statements and collecting photos. This Bike vs Collision may have been preventable, if Ca State Parks had installed Bike Turnouts near this location over two years ago!
Please Armando, install Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo before we have a fatality.