SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS: 2015 to 2022
BY OCTOBER 2022 THERE WILL BE APPROXIMATELY 50 BIKE TURNOUTS ON THE ROADS OF MOUNT DIABLO! BIKE TURNOUTS ARE UNIQUE ONLY TO MOUNT DIABLO!
The following Safety Improvements were Facilitated by the Tenacity, Persistence, and Determination of Mount Diablo Cyclists Leadership Team/Members and the Support of Elected Representatives, Media, and the Public. It took over 10 years of Public Record Act Requests, Surveys, and Research to create the Map below.
- 2022 (October 1st) Facilitated the Installation of nearly 50 Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo!
- 2022 (July 18th) Contractor begins work to Install 30 Bike Turnouts
- 2022 (April 16th) Created: STAY ALERT - STAY ALIVE - PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
- 2022 (March 31st) Facilitated a New Motorist Safety Message - WARNING! WARNING!, BIKES COMING DOWNHILL, STAY IN YOUR LANE, PASS ONLY WHEN VISUALLY CLEAR, AVOID CRASH (South Gate Road Boundary).
. . . . . . . .
- 2022 (February) Facilitated the Relocation of an Electronic Message Sign near the South Gate Road Boundary
- 2021 (December) Facilitated a change to the Completion Date for the Bike Turnout Project Timeline to November 2022 instead of July 2023 (Special Thanks to Senator Glazer & Assemblymember Bauer- Kahan)
- FY-2021/2022 Facilitated $1,500,00 in California State Budget to Fund Bike Turnout Project#2019-05: 77 Bike Turnouts (Special Thanks to State Senator Glazer & Assemblymember Bauer-Kahan)
- 2021 Facilitated 4 Bike Turnouts: $79,055
- 2019 (March 28th): Facilitated the signing of MDSP Bike Turnout Project#2019-05; NOT FUNDED (Special Thanks to Senator Glazer & Assemblymember Bauer- Kahan)
- 2019 Facilitated/created Mount Diablo App, free to all park visitors, volunteers, and staff
- 2018 Facilitated/created the MDSP Bike Turnout Project#2019-05 to Install 77 Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo
- 2018 Facilitated/created the Mandatory Verbal Motorists Safety Advisory for all motorists entering the Park
- 2017 Facilitated 10 Bike Turnouts: paint only, $5,000
- 2017 Received the Town of Danville Award of Merit and California Legislature Assembly, Certificate of Recognition
- 2016 Facilitated/created 3 Bike Turnouts as a Pilot Project
- 2016 Facilitated/created the DO NOT PASS BIKES ON BLIND CURVES sign.
- 2016 Facilitated the Road Striping & Signage Project on Mount Diablo ($300,000+), DO NOT PASS BIKES ON BLIND CURVES signs (35), AVOID CRASH SLOW DOWN (35), Sharrows every 1/2 mile in ascending lane, Solid Double Yellow lines and a Traffic Engineering Survey
- 2015 Bike Turnouts were created by Mount Diablo Cyclists. Apparently, they do not exist anywhere else in California
- Facilitated the reduction of Bike vs Vehicle Collisions from 2015 to 2020 by 80%
- Facilitated the reduction of Bike vs Vehicle Collisions: 2015 (5), 2016 (2), 2017 (1), 2018 (0), 2019 (0), 2020 (1)(CHP Vehicle vs Bike, 4/8/2020)
- Facilitated the total number of Collisions: 2015 (16), 2016 (12), 2017 (10), 2018 (5)
- Discovered that all types of Collisions were occurring approximately every two weeks on Mount Diablo: 2010 to 2015
- Created Mount Diablo Cyclists Facebook Group: 1600 members
- Petition to Install Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo: over 3,800 signatures
- Petition to Improve Safety for Cyclists and Motorists: over 1,200 signatures
- Installed 8 Bike Repair Boxes(4 Eagle Scout Project): Junction, Summit, Juniper Campground, South Gate Kiosk, Mitchell Canyon, Burma Rd/North Gate Rd, Macedo Ranch, and Live Oak Campground
- Conducted Cyclist, Motorist, and Traffic Speed Surveys
- Facilitated Cyclist donated Bike Rack at Summit
- Formed Cyclist Volunteer Pot Hole Repair Team to repair roads and trim vegetation
- Established Mount Diablo Cyclists Facebook
- Celebrated these accomplishments with an Official Ceremony on October 7, 2016, recognizing State Parks officials, local legislators, and Mount Diablo Cyclists
- Created Mount Diablo Bicycle Descending Technique
- . .